Library Director Job AnnouncementOpening for Library Director in Freedom, New Hampshire
The Freedom Public Library Board of Trustees is seeking a new director who is engaging and friendly, creative, tech-savvy, and organized, with strong communication and leadership skills.
Freedom is a picturesque town nestled between the Lakes Region and White Mountains of New Hampshire with all those areas have to offer. It has a small year-round population of 1500 that swells during the summer months with summer residents. The library, open 22 hours a week, is a well-used resource by patrons of all ages – not only for its vibrant collection of books and media offerings, but also because it offers an array of children’s and youth programs, as well as lectures, workshops, film series, arts and crafts, and programs for adults. It enjoys strong financial support from the Town, and has an active Friends of the Library that supports supplemental programs. Patrons enjoy giving their time as volunteers, and are instrumental in helping the library maintain its active programming calendar that makes the Freedom Public Library a special place in the heart of the village.
Overview of Job Duties
- Directs daily operations of the Library to ensure high quality services to the community and fulfillment of the Library’s mission.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates staff.
- Is responsible for collection development
- Assists patrons with technology, circulation, reference materials, and Interlibrary Loan
- Purchases and maintains Library technology and supplies needed to maintain and run the Library
- Directs the maintenance of the Library facility and grounds
- Develops and maintains working relationships with Library Trustees, Friends of the Library, Freedom Elementary School, and local government and community leaders
- Oversees the Library’s website and Library publicity
- Works with Board of Trustees to develop goals, policies, and budget s
- Seeks and secures donations and grants from external sources.
- Maintains circulation and usage statistics and prepares required reports
- Participates in professional development opportunities and regional professional organizations
- Click here to see the complete job description.
The position is salaried, based on approximately 25 hours per week with paid sick and vacation leave. Salary range of $23- $25 per hour is dependent on education and experience.
Minimum Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Applicant must have a Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or a related field from an accredited institution. Masters of Library and Information Science or Masters of Library Science from an ALA accredited institution preferred.
- Relevant library work experience, including experience with library and media technologies and personnel management preferred.
- Applicant must be comfortable bending and stretching to shelve books, carrying up to 40 pounds, be comfortable climbing stairs, and performing light maintenance. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform those essential functions.
- Cover letter
- Provide name and contacts of two (2) professional references