What is Kanopy?
Kanopy is a video streaming service made available to you by your library. With it, you can stream from a collection of over 30,000 independent and documentary films, including videos from The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Media Education Foundation, and more. Kanopy’s collection focuses on titles offering social, cultural, and educational value. You can view available titles and stream by visiting the Kanopy website on your PC, or by downloading the Kanopy app to your Android mobile device, iOS mobile device, or Amazon Fire Tablet. Kanopy can also be streamed through your Roku, Apple TV, or Chromecast.
How do I create an account?
- Click here to create an account on Kanopy, or open your Kanopy app and select 'Sign Up'.
- Fill in the requested fields on form or use your existing Facebook or Google account info if you prefer by clicking on the appropriate social login button and following the prompts.
- After signing up, you will be sent a verification email to your email address which will come from email@example.com. Click “Verify My Email” to continue your account set up. Note: If you are not seeing this email in your inbox or spam, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so they can assist you.
- Click "Find your library" and look for the Freedom Public Library.
- Select Freedom Public Library from the dropdown list.
- Click "Add library card" and enter your library card number (the number on the back of the card) and PIN (your phone number) and click Save
- Once your library card has been successfully connected, you will then be shown information about how your account works.
How does streaming work?
Streaming videos allows you to watch a video without downloading the whole file. It requires a stable internet connection while you watch.
How many videos can I watch?
Your Freedom Public Library account offers 10 ‘credits’ per month, enabling you to play up to 10 titles per month. Patrons accessing The Great Courses will have 30 days to complete the class. Patrons accessing children's programming will have unlimited access to Kanopy Kids for 30 days using one credit.
How long do I have to watch the videos?
You have 72 hours from the moment you select ‘Play’. The video will stop streaming when the 72 hours is up, so you will have to use another credit to keep watching if you did not finish. If you want to watch the film more than once in 72 hours, that works too!
Need more information?
You can always visit the Kanopy help page directly for much more information and instruction.