The Freedom Public Library is a member of NH Downloadable Books,
a consortium of libraries which purchase e-books and downloadable books together, organized and administered by the NH State Library. Library
card holders of member libraries have access to thousands of titles with
this service. Users of NH Downloadable Books must have a current library card. The library has new 14-digit library cards now and all patrons must reapply to get one. Use your new library card number for downloadables from now on! Call 603-539-5176 or come in to
the Freedom Public Library for more
See the new NH Downloadable Books Blog for new titles, tips on using the service, and troubleshooting, compiled by NH librarians.
Downloadable Books from this service come in the following formats:
- WMA (Windows Media Audio): an audiobook format (a book to listen to)that works on Windows computers, many types of MP3 playersand some other mobile devices
- MP3: an audiobook format that works on Mac and Windows computers and more devices
- EPUB: an eBook format (a book to read)that works on computers and a number of e-readers (except for Kindles) and mobile devices
- Kindle book: an eBook format that works on Amazonís Kindle devices and with the Kindle application on computers and mobile devices
With the rapid development of mobile devices, interest in this library service has increased. Here are some answers to commonly asked questions:
What devices can I use?
That depends on the format of the downloadable book and the operating system used by your device. Overdrive, the company that provides the NH Downloadable Books has put together a comprehensive list of devices matched to format. Itís a long list, be sure to scroll down.
What program(s) do I need to download books to my device?
- OverDrive provides its OverDrive Media Console software for Windows and Mac computers, and mobile devices using Android, Blackberry, iPhone/iPad, and Windows Phone operating systems.
- To use the Downloadable eBooks in EPUB format with an ereader (except Kindle) or on a computer, you will also need Adobe Digital Editions. You will need to sign up for a free Adobe ID to use EPUB eBooks on any device.
- To use the Downloadable eBooks in EPUB format on your mobile device, you only need to install the Overdrive Media Console mobile app.
- To use the Downloadable eBooks in Kindle ebook format, you will need a Kindle or Kindle app on your computer or mobile device.
- In order to use Downloadable Audiobooks, you will need either Windows Media Player or iTunes.
See OverDriveís Help page for Quick Start guides for all formats, software help, and troubleshooting tips.
Bobbi Slossar at the NH State Library, and coordinator for the NH Downloadable Books, has put together instructional slideshows, tutorials and printable instructions, see NH Downloadable Books blog for full list.
- Reading EPUB eBooks on an iPad/iPhone
- Kindle Books on an iPad
- Using a PC to transfer eBooks to a nook
- Using a Mac to transfer eBooks to a nook
- Using a PC to transfer eBooks to a Sony Reader
- Using a Mac to transfer eBooks to Sony Reader
- Downloading MP3 Audiobooks to an Android phone
- Downloading eBooks to an Android phone
- Checking Out eBooks for Your Kindle
- MP3 Audiobooks for Mac Users
- Enjoying Adobe EPUB eBooks on an Apple Device
If you have any questions about using this service, stop in or email for assistance.Many thanks to Mary Cronin of the Madison Public Library for the content on this page!