Search for Assistant Librarian has been reopened
The Freedom Public Library is looking for a friendly, knowledgeable and creative Assistant Librarian, working under the supervision of the Library Director. This position will satisfy someone who is both people-oriented and detail-oriented, who thrives on variety and who enjoys working with children and teens.
- Acts as Head of Circulation, overseeing all aspects of circulation services including checking materials in and out, patron registration, interlibrary loans, and inventory and proper shelving of items.
- Acts as Volunteer Coordinator, overseeing front desk volunteers, scheduling, assigning appropriate tasks, and recruiting and training new volunteers.
- Supervises and evaluates the Library Assistant.
- Catalogs library materials, oversees the processing and repair of materials, and adds new materials to the library’s website.
- Plans, implements, and publicizes summer programming for teens in grades 7-12.
- Assists with children’s programs including reading to school groups.
- Provides basic information, reference service and reader's advisory to patrons.
- Helps patrons with technology questions, including how to use the NH Downloadable Library.
- Assists in creating promotional materials and online publicity.
- Helps maintain the library's appearance.
- Monitors Freedom Elementary School bookdrop.
- Helps edit and maintain library website and online calendar and creates posts on Facebook.
- Maintains attendance statistics for library programs.
- Opens and closes the library.
- Ensures that the mail is picked up.
- Attends trainings, meetings and conferences for professional growth.
- In the absence of the Director, oversees all library operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An MLS from an accredited college is preferred. A suitable combination of college degree and experience demonstrating mastery of the required knowledge, skills and abilities will also be considered.
- Enthusiasm for providing quality public service is essential. Must be friendly, outgoing, welcoming and discreet.
- Computer competence is required including facility with Microsoft Word and Excel. Being a computer whiz is highly desired!
- Experience in and enjoyment of working with children and teens are strongly desired.
- Ability to supervise and delegate is needed.
- Flexibility, excellent verbal and written communication skills, superior interpersonal skills and teamwork are essential.
- The ability to work effectively in an environment with many distractions and interruptions is necessary.
This is a salaried position requiring an average of 25 hours per week, Tuesday-Saturday. Assistant Librarian arrives at least 15 minutes prior to posted library hours and works open hours or as negotiated with the Library Director. The Assistant Librarian is expected to work outside of normal hours to attend and/or lead programs, attend workshops and meetings or conduct other library business as needed. Salary is $23,000-$24,500 per year. This position offers paid holidays, sick days and two weeks' vacation.
Send resume, cover letter and names & contact information for three references to email@example.com
or mail to:
Freedom Public Library
PO Box 159
Freedom, NH 03836
Applications will be reviewed as they come in. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.